doctor, Dr Ashok Sharma is an ophthalmologist with 27 years of
experience in ophthalmology, a branch of medicine specializing in the
anatomy, function and diseases of the eye. Dr Sharma, a pioneer Corneal Transplant Surgeon, specializes in External Eye & Corneal Diseases,
Contact Lenses, Eye Banking, Corneal Transplants and Refractive Surgery.
Ashok Sharma is the director of the Cornea Centre, Chandigarh, an
Exclusive Centre For Corneal Transplant Surgeon. He is currently a Medical
Director of City Eye Bank, Chandigarh.
Awards & Honors
Dr Ashok Sharma has a long list of achievements and recognition in ophthalmology.
- Awarded Silver Medal for achieving highest percentage in MS Exam, PGIMER, Chandigarh
- Best Paper Award for "Dry Eye in JRA", in National Conference on pediatric diseases, 2000.
- Best Paper Award for "Fibrin Glue in Strabismus Surgery", in SSI Conference, held in the year 1998.
- Fellowship award for Research in Cornea in Feb 2005 at Singapore at Seri ARVO meeting on Research in Vision and Opthalmology
- WHO Award for best paper in SAARC Conference, Nepal on Chemical Eye Injury
- Junior Resident at Eye Dept for 3 Years
- Senior Resident at Cornea Service, PGI, Chandigarh for 3 Years
- Assistant Prof. at Cornea Service, PGI, Chandigarh for 6 Years
- Associate Prof. at Cornea Service, PGI, Chandigarh for 5 Years
- Director at Cornea Service, GEI, Chandigarh for 2 years
- Director at Cornea Centre, Chandigarh for 11 years
- Over 14 years of experience in as a corneal transplant surgeon at Tertiary Care Centre, Eye Dept., PGIMER, Chandigarh.
- Around 13 years of experience in managing surgical and medical corneal problems and experiences of performing Corneal Grafts which are practice incentive in nature.
Experience of Eye Donation
- Over 11 years of experience as incharge of Eye Bank in PGI
- Worked for 13 years as Medical Director of City Eye Bank
- For over 24 years, he is promoting eye donation by participating in various organized eye donation awareness programs and work shops.
- Refractive and Cornea surgery, USA and Eye Banking, Eye Consultants of Maryland, Tissue Bank International Baltimore, USA (1996)
- Cornea and Anterior Segment Fellowship in the year 1994 at LV Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad, India
Member of Societies
- Founder Hon. Secretary of Eye Bank Society, Chandigarh
- Life Member of Eye Bank Association of India.
- Member of All India Opthamological Society.
- Member of American Academy of Ophthalmology.
- Member of Executive Committee, Eye Bank Association of India
- Member of Executive Committee, Eye Bank Association of India.
- Member of Eye Bank Society, Chandigarh
- Member of National Association of Blind, India
- Resource Scientist at National Institute for Blind & Visually handicapped, Dehradun, UP
- Vice President of Chandigarh Ophthalmological Society
Papers Presented (140)
- International Conferences : 56
- National Conferences : 84
Papers Published (144)
- International Journals - 66
- National Journals - 78
- Chapters in Books: 14